Vetiver, a member of the grass family, is grown for many reasons. Unlike other grasses, the root system of Vetiver grows down, making it ideal for helping to prevent erosion and providing soil stabilization. Vetiver has a rich, exotic, complex aroma that is used extensively in perfumes. Due to Vetiver’s calming, grounding effect on the emotions, and its ability to promote circulation, Vetiver is an ideal oil to use in massage therapy. Vetiver helps promote focus and mental clarity. It can also be rubbed on the feet before bedtime to promote a restful night’s sleep. When taken internally, Vetiver acts as an overall tonic to the body’s systems while promoting immunity and overall health.
The properties of Vetiver:
- Immune, stimulant
- Rubefacient (locally warming)
- Sedative (nervous system)
- Stimulant (circulatory, production of red corpuscles).
Vetiver is steam distilled from roots.
When diffused Vetiver has a heavy, smoky, earthy fragrance reminiscent of Patchouli with lemon like undertones. Vetiver has been valuable for relieving stress and helping people recover from emotional traumas and shock. As a natural tranquilizer, it may help induce a restful sleep. It is known to affect the parathyroid gland.
How to apply Vetiver:
- Topically – Can be applied neat (with no dilution) when used topically. Apply to reflex points and/or directly on area of concern; diffuse. Also excellent in baths or in massage blends. A very small amount of vetiver oil is all that is needed in most applications.
- Aromatically – Use three to four drops in the diffuser of your choice.
- Internally – Dilute one drop oil in 1 tsp. honey or 4 oz. of beverage. Not for children under 6 years old.
- Add 1–2 drops to tea or hot drinks during winter time to promote immunity.
- Use as a massage oil to promote circulation and calm emotions.
- Take a warm bath with a few drops of Vetiver essential oil for deep relaxation.
- Diffuse with Lavender, Serenity, or Balance to calm emotions and lessen stress.
- Use a toothpick to help get the desired amount out of container if Vetiver is too thick to get out of the bottle. A little goes a long way.
- Supports healthy circulation
- Calming, grounding effect on emotions
- Immune-enhancing properties
Safety precautions using Vetiver:
Use with caution during pregnancy.