This recipe is a variation on the one-ingredient ice cream made with bananas. I use grated orange zest for that little bit of extra flavor. This summer we had a bunch of oranges and before we used them, I grated the orange peel (the zest) and froze it. Frozen zest has a much stronger tang than fresh, so I suggest using it sparingly.
- 3 bananas
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ¼ - ½ teaspoon orange zest, finely grated
- Cut bananas into coin size pieces and freeze. It may take a couple of hours to get them hard enough. This is a good task to do the day before.
- Thoroughly blend the bananas in a food processor until they are the consistency of soft ice cream.
- Add the orange zest, cocoa and maple syrup.
- Mix thoroughly until creamy.
- Freeze remaining ice cream in a covered glass container.