With a bountiful harvest of summer squash this year, I made a dish that pairs well with just about any main dish or protein. I used all of the yellow summer squash I had on hand – I had at least 6 so it was time to make a big batch. Today I picked up a pound of green beans from the overflow table at the CSA so it was going in this dish too. Here’s how it all came together.
I peeled the squashed, cubed it and placed it in the steam oven for 10 minutes. You can steam it in a double boiler or stove top steamer for the same amount of time. You can also steam the green beans at the same time. While the squash is cooking, I prepare the bacon. I like to use uncured bacon but whatever type you family likes will work in this recipe. Usually it’s recommended to cook the bacon strips till crisp and then let them cool on the side so you can crumble them up in the dish. Instead, I use kitchen shears to cut the bacon into smaller pieces before I fry it in the pan. That way I can continue cooking and not wait for the bacon to cool plus I get larger chunks of bacon in my bites and it’s one less step.
When the bacon is browned, add chopped onion to pan. Today, I used leeks from the CSA and they were beautiful! Then I stirred in a 1/2-3/4 cup of Pecorino cheese, but you can use Parmesan just as well. This combination makes a great base for the lightness of the squash. When the vegetables are steamed, add them to the pan and stir until completely mixed. Salt and pepper to taste. Here’s the recipe formatted for you. I hope you try it and let me know how you like it.
- 6 summer squash, peeled and cubed
- 1 pound green beans, snapped
- 6 slices of bacon, chopped or crumbled after cooking
- ½ cup onion, diced or 3 leeks
- ½ - ¾ cup Parmesan or Pecorino cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Peel and cube the squash and snap the beans before steaming.
- Place the vegetables in a steamer to cook for 10 minutes.
- Cook the bacon until brown and crisp.
- Add the onion to the bacon and cook for a minute.
- Stir in the cheese. Mix completely.
- Stir in the vegetables and continue cooking for another minute.
- Serve warm.