Oregano is one of the most potent and powerful essential oils and has been used for centuries in traditional medicine for its cleansing and immune-boosting properties. The primary chemical components of Oregano are carvacol and thymol, both in the phenols group, which possess purifying and antioxidant properties. Due to its high phenol content, caution should be taken when inhaling or diffusing Oregano; only one to two drops is needed. Additionally, Oregano should be diluted with dōTERRA Fractionated Coconut Oil when applied to the skin. Oregano essential oil contains phenols—powerful antioxidants that ward off free radicals. One drop taken daily can help maintain healthy immune function; Oregano should be taken more frequently when seasonal threats are high or as needed to further boost immunity. In addition to being a popular cooking spice, Oregano supports healthy digestion by promoting the secretion of digestive juices. When diffused, Oregano acts as an enhancer and equalizer in essential oil blends and can help maintain healthy respiratory function.
Oregano is steam distilled from the herb.
The properties of Oregano:
- Antiseptic to the Respiratory System
- Immune Stimulant
When diffused Oregano strengthens one’s feeling of security.
How to apply Oregano:
- Topically – 1:3 (1 drop essential oil to 3 drops carrier oil) when used topically. Apply to reflex points and directly on area of concern; diffuse.
- Aromatically – Use three to four drops in the diffuser of your choice.
- Internally – Oregano oil is generally recognized as safe (GRAS) for human consumption by the FDA (21CRF182.20). Dilute one drop oil in 1 Tbs. honey or in 4 oz. of beverage (i.e. rice milk).
- Take one drop daily to boost immunity when seasonal threats are high.
- Rub Oregano essential oil and Fractionated Coconut Oil on the bottom of your feet to help boost your immune system.
- Put one drop in place of dried oregano in spaghetti sauce, pizza sauce, or on a roast.
- Put 10 drops in a 16-ounce spray bottle with water for a surface spray.
- Mix one to two drops with water and gargle to soothe an irritated throat.
Safety precautions using Oregano
Can cause extreme skin irritation. Not for children under 6-years-old; use with caution 6-years-old and over; dilution recommended.