Memorial Day is a time to remember our fallen heroes that have served in the military. Because of their sacrifice and that of those who continue to serve and veterans who have served, we enjoy our freedom. Many of us spend this holiday celebrating the beginning of the warm weather and an unofficial start of summer (even though we still have a month to go). While enjoying your holiday with your friends and family, take pause to remember the intent of the holiday, even if you just take a moment to share a personal story of someone – a parent, a spouse, a friend – who have made that commitment to serve our country and pass this on as an oral history to the next generation. And the next time you see a person in service of our country, take a moment to sincerely say “Thank You.”
- Heat grill to medium. Lightly oil grates.
- In a small bowl, combine paprika, thyme, 1 teaspoons salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper. Sprinkle spice rub all over chicken.
- Reserve 1 cup barbecue sauce in small bowl for serving. Keep remaining sauce in another bowl for basting.
- Grill chicken, turning often, until cooked through, 15 to 20 minutes (if browning too quickly, move to cooler part of grill).
- During final 5 minutes of cooking, baste chicken with barbecue sauce. Serve chicken with reserved sauce.
7 Common Allergen-Free
Gluten and Casein-Free
Gluten, Dairy and Soy-Free
Weston A. Price/Traditional Foods
It’s best to use an organic brand of tomatoes that come in a glass jar or get them fresh and crush them to make the sauce. Use it either directly on the chicken or as a dipping sauce.
- 1/4 cup coconut oil or olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 24 ounces strained, crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup organic raw honey
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground sage
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Heat a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the oil and let it heat up for a minute before adding the onions.
- Saute onions in the oil for about 10 minutes, or until they are very soft and golden brown.
- Add garlic and saute a minute more.
- Add the remaining ingredients, stir, cover and simmer on medium-low heat for about 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and transfer sauce to a blender and blend until smooth (I used a blending wand). Taste and adjust salt and seasonings to your liking.
Nutritional Information: Per Serving: 113 Calories; 5g Fat; 1g Protein; 18g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 441mg Sodium.
Photo Credit: smitten kitchen