Recognized by its more common name “tea tree,” melaleuca has been revered for its cleansing and regenerative properties, especially for the skin. Composed of more than ninety different compounds, melaleuca has limitless therapeutic applications. The Aborigines of Australia would crush the leaves and inhale the oil to promote clear breathing and apply the leaves directly to the skin to help with recovery. Melaleuca is best known for its purifying properties. It can be used to cleanse and purify the skin and nails and to promote a clear, healthy complexion. Taken internally, Melaleuca enhances immunity when seasonal threats are high, and Melaleuca can be used on surfaces throughout the home to protect against environmental threats. Melaleuca is frequently used on minor skin irritations to soothe the skin and help it recover quickly. Diffusing Melaleuca will help purify and freshen the air.
Melaleuca is steam distilled from leaves of the Melaleuca tree.
The properties of Melaleuca:
- A strong antiseptic
- Immune stimulant
- Tissue regenerator
When diffused Melaleuca promotes cleansing and purity.
How to apply Melaleuca
- Topically – Apply one to two drops to desired area. Dilute with dōTERRA Fractionated Coconut Oil to minimize any skin sensitivity.
- Aromatically – Use three to four drops in the diffuser of your choice.
- Internally – Dilute one drop oil in 1 tsp. honey or 4 oz. of beverage.
- For occasional skin irritations, apply 1–2 drops of Melaleuca essential oil onto affected area.
- Add 1–2 drops to water, citrus drinks, or veggie caps to enhance immunity.
- Combine 1–2 drops with your facial cleanser or moisturizer for added cleansing properties, or apply to skin after shaving to prevent razor burn.
- Apply to fingernails and toenails after showering to purify and strengthen nails.
- Add a few drops to a spray bottle with water and use on surfaces to protect against environmental threats.
Safety precautions using Melaleuca
Repeated use can possible result in contact sensitization. Do not use as dietary supplement for children under 6 years old.