Create a batch of all natural vanilla extract as the perfect holiday gift for the baker or foodie.
Homemade Vanilla Extract
Recipe type: Natural Products
- Cut off the ends of the vanilla beans and cut each bean lengthwise.
- Divide the beans evenly among 4-5 one-quart glass mason jars.
- Pour the vodka or rum into the mason jars, covering the vanilla beans, and close tightly.
- Shake vigorously.
- Place in a cool, dark place and shake the bottles about once a week for a few months (about 12 weeks).
- When ready, carefully fill each glass bottle with vanilla extract and secure the lids tightly.
- Include 1-2 vanilla beans in each bottle (cut each bean in half to fit).
- Add a label to the bottle and include any instructions.
If it still needs to sit a while, include a date when it can be used.