Coriander is an annual herb, growing three feet high and being very aromatic. Derived from the seeds, Coriander essential oil has been used for centuries for nausea, stomach upset, and to aid digestion and is still used today for these same benefits. Coriander has a high linalool content, giving it strengthening and toning properties that benefit the skin, emotions, and body. Coriander has been studied for its ability to promote a healthy insulin response. Coriander can soothe sore muscles and joint pain and be an effective toner to the skin. Coriander’s sweet, herbaceous aroma is both relaxing and stimulating, making it a good rotation oil to use in blends to add a fresh, herbaceous note.
Coriander is steam distilled from seeds.
The properties of Coriander:
- Stimulant (cardiac, circulatory, and nervous systems)
When diffused Coriander is gentle stimulant for those with low physical energy. It also helps one relax during times of stress, irritability, and nervousness. It may also provide a calming influence to those suffering from shock or fear.
How to apply Coriander:
- Topically – Can be applied neat (with no dilution) when used topically. Apply to reflex points and directly on area of concern; diffuse.
- Aromatically – Use three to four drops in the diffuser of your choice.
- Internally – Coriander oil is generally recognized as safe (GRAS) for human consumption by the FDA. Dilute one drop oil in 1 tsp. honey or 4 oz. of beverage. Not for children under 6 years old.
- Take a few drops internally and rub on stomach after eating large meals to assist with digestion.
- Apply to oily skin areas to reduce breakouts.
- Mix with Slim & Sassy to maintain a healthy insulin response.
- Apply to sore muscles and joints or use with dōTERRA Fractionated Coconut Oil for massage.
- Promotes digestion and eases stomach upset
- Aids in a healthy insulin response
- Soothes joint and muscle pain
- Toning and rejuvenating to the skin
Safety precautions using Coriander:
Use sparingly, as coriander can be stupefying in large doses.