Basil has a warm, spicy, yet herbal aroma known to enhance memory function while reducing stress and tension. Basil provides restorative benefits to both the mind and body due to its high linalool content, making it an ideal application for sore muscles and joints and to reduce tension when applied to the temples and back of neck. Basil is commonly used in cooking to add a fresh, herbal flavor to meats, pastas, and entrée dishes, but it is also cooling to the skin and can be used to soothe minor irritations. When diffused, Basil helps promote clear breathing and healthy respiratory function while sharpening focus and lessening anxiety. Valued for its restorative and calming properties, basil is commonly used for soothing sore muscles and joints, to ease breathing, and as a cooling agent for the skin.
Basil is steam distillation of leaves, stems, and flowers.
The properties of Basil:
When diffused Basil it helps one maintain an open mind and increases clarity of thought.
Primary benefits of Basil:
- Soothes sore muscles and joints
- Assists with clear breathing
- Acts as a cooling agent for the skin
- Promotes mental alertness and lessens anxiety
How to apply Basil
- Topically – Apply one to two drops to desired area. Dilute with dōTERRA Fractionated Coconut Oil to minimize any skin sensitivity.
- Aromatically – Use three to four drops in the diffuser of your choice.
- Internally – May be added to food or water as a dietary supplement. Dilute one drop in 4 fl. oz. of liquid.
Safety precautions using Basil
Possible skin sensitivity. Keep out of reach of children. If you are pregnant, nursing, or under a doctor’s care, consult your physician. Avoid contact with eyes, inner ears, and sensitive areas.