We don’t always eat well all the time. We are exposed to harmful pathogens and chemicals in our daily life. Because of these factors our bodies may become “toxified.” In order for us to feel our best and even look better, we need to remove these toxins from our body. The effects that the environment has on us increases the level of toxins we are exposed to and we need to consider how to reduce those levels as well. “Toxic load” refers to the accumulation of all of the toxins affecting your body at any give time and the burden it places on the body systems and organs. There are many different types of detoxes – juicing, fasting, eating only one type of food and many others. None of those drastic measures ensures that your body will get the nutrients it needs while detoxifying.
Let’s focus on the natural ways to detox.
- Drink plenty of clean, filtered water. Because many cities put fluoride and chlorine in the municipal water, it’s best to filter out these chemicals. As a general rule, drink at least half of your body weight in ounces. If you work out and sweat, you will need to drink more water to replace what you are losing through sweat. Sweating is a natural detoxification method. You can use an infrared sauna to induce sweating to detoxify. Just remember to replace the water you are losing. Our bodies are 75% water!
- Eat organic whole foods. You’ve heard the expression, you are what you eat. I believe that you are what you can digest! If you are eating food that is not being broken down into nutrients your body can use, then it’s not worthwhile to eat them. Eating organic foods will reduce the exposure to harmful pesticides that are sprayed directly on conventionally grown food.
- Eat foods that naturally detoxify your body. There are many natural plants that are known to help remove toxins from the body including lemon, parsley, cilantro, dandelion root, cayenne, turmeric, red pepper, garlic, grapefruit and beets.
- Speaking of lemon, drink your water first thing in the morning with lemon. This will help balance out the pH of the body. Many foods put our body towards the acidic range. Acidity causes disturbance in your enzymes, demineralization and seriously harmful acid activity. A simple detox recipe for a morning drink is a cup of warm water with lemon and a pinch of cayenne!
- Use natural products and supplements to help clean out your body of harmful toxins. Just diffusing lemon essential oil will help clear the pathways through your respiratory system. Using Slim & Sassy – Metabolic Blend will help manage your appetite and supports a healthy metabolism.
- Get moving! Exercise is a natural part of living – walk, run, hop, skip or jump. You don’t have to go to the gym. Your body will naturally help reduce toxins by clearing out the pathways that take in toxins. Breathe in deeply while exercising helping to clear out your lungs. Movement will stimulate your GI tract and help with elimination. Drinking plenty of water will help cleanse your urinary tract by eliminating more toxins through urination.
I recommend that you detox on a regular basis. If you never have done a detox, try it at least one a year. Once your body has positive reactions, you will see the importance of a detox. Aim for a quarterly detox. Time it with the seasons. Include seasonal foods in your meals for optimal nutrition. Just try it!